Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Global Connection

People rave about how the internet has connected the world into one giant, electronic, global village. Have people lost all desire for privacy and individuality? I know that I haven't. There are people who actually post everything about their lives on their blogs. That seems like kind of a waste of time and energy. Granted I'm sure they're never at a loss for things to talk about, but why? That question covers a lot of ground, so I'll elaborate.

Why do they feel the need to put their food preferences, their sex lives, and life in general on display? Does Joe Average really think that people care? Chances are if these people were of any consequence, they wouldn't be self-publishing their biography as it happens. We all know that's what the media is for. Not only that, but media has the power to make people's lives seem entertaining. Perhaps, Joe thinks he's connecting with people on a personal level?

Why does Joe Average think that having readers in Algeria or Norway is of more substance than connecting with someone in person? If I want to connect with people I'll go to a party, or a bar, or even just talk with a neighbor. If you want to connect with someone don't tell the world. The world is not a person, and no amount of hits on your website is going to be a substitute for talking with someone face to face.

Some people might say that their blog or Facebook or Twitter or what-have-you, allows people to feel a sense of community. Well if people want to feel a sense of community, why don't they get more involved with it? People talk about how the internet let's people connect as a group? Well there's a little website called meetup.com which exists for just that purpose! It exists solely for helping people with mutual interests get together in the flesh to engage in or discuss these interests. It can be anything from some silly activist movement to role-playing games, cooking, or anything you can think of. If you want to feel some community connection, go to this website, or move to a smaller town. Despite what the urban sprawl of the United States would have you think, there are still small burgs where everyone knows and cares about the business of everyone else.

Now one might argue that my own blog renders me hypocritical in such matters as these. After all I'm posting all these essays online where anyone can read them. Well to date I'm only aware of six, maybe seven people who have actually read even one of these essays. The difference though is that I understand why I'm posting these here. One: It's free.
Two: It saves room on my computer's already bursting hard-drive
Three: These essays are relevant. Not just to me, but to anyone with two working brain cells who find their way here.
Four: I need to give vent to my thoughts and this seems like a good enough place to do it. It's kind of like mental exercise.
But I don't delude myself into thinking that I'm making friends doing this. Hell if some far left activist came across this blog, I'd probably start receiving death threats. But this page is largely for my own benefit. But believe what you like.

My point is that if people are posting online journals that anyone can read, don't do so under the pretense of making friends. Just admit to yourself that you're an exhibitionist or just trying to make yourself feel important. I think I can safely say that the only time either of those things is wrong is if you're not doing anything to make yourself a better person. So to quote Edward R. Murrow, "Good night, and good luck".

No comments: